The building of Provincial Assembly of the Punjab was designed by MrBazel M Salune, Superintending Architect, Architecture Circle, Punjab and built on Shahrah-e-Quaid-e-Azam, (The Mall) Lahore. It is not only a marvelous piece of Roman architecture, but is also one of the historical buildings of the country. Its foundation stone was laid down on November 17, 1935 by Sir Jogindra Singh, Minister for Agriculture and was completed in 1938.
The building and the adjoining land spread over an area of 16 acres. The building has two floors. On ground floor, there is a wide reception area, cafeteria, library, office of the Leader of the Opposition, one committee room, and offices of the Assembly Secretariat. Two rooms on ground floor have been dedicated for bank and dispensary to facilitate Members and staff of the Assembly.
The first floor consists of Chief Minister’s chamber, Speaker’s chamber, Deputy Speaker’s office, Conference room, offices for Ministers, two committee rooms and offices of the Secretariat.
The hall or chamber of the House is situated at the first floor of the present building. It presents a rare mixture of grandeur and beauty. It has two chambers; the lower chamber, having a capacity of 271 seats, is meant for conduct of the business of the House and the upper chamber, with a capacity of 200 seats, contains galleries for the media including radio and TV as well as visitors for witnessing the proceedings of the House